Miss Gorby's Reading Page
Materials Needed for 8th grade Reading
2 Composition notebooks
red grading pen
note cards (100)
glue sticks (at least 6)
colored pencils, markers, and/or crayons
loose leaf paper
folder with 3 prongs for holding paper (this will be for 1st semester book report assignment)
Books: The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne
Night by Elie Wiesel
must have books in hand September 1
tissues and wet wipes are always appreciated as extra supplies
Project will be given to all students on The Boy in the Striped Pajamas due the 3rd nine weeks
any extra credit book report cannot be on any required reading (from any grade) or books that have been made into a movie, youtube video, or TV show. Books must also be 6th grade level or lexile score of 860 or higher. If a google search shows movie, youtube, TV or low lexile score - report will not be scored.
Parents should always check his/her child's student agenda every day.
Students may have additional homework not posted.
Book report information located at bottom of page
Extra credit information also at bottom (available every 9 weeks)
Miss Gorby's Reading Page
ANNOUNCEMENTS: Extra credit given every nine weeks. Requirements are different for each nine weeks.Details will be given to each student. Forms or instructions are available from Miss Gorby. I keep instructions for extra credit and required book reports in my room every day until the day the project is due. Late reports are only accepted for excused absences.
homework and practice
- Reading – Current event projects were assigned to students - well since we are not going to have face to face school it has been a challenge to get students to email or upload these to me. So I have decided the few students who have completed the current event assignment and have already uploaded it to me I will use those as extra credit. If your student turned in current event with their Progress Book I will also use as extra credit. 1 current event equals 3 points 2=5 pts 3=10pts 4=15pts and 5=20pts This option will only be good for items completed by April 6. That was the due date of the first current event . To earn the maximum amout of points directions for the current event needed to be followed - answer 5Ws, give reason in the news, have an article, highlight article, make a key for highlights and neatly typed or hand written.
- Additional assignments for reading will be posted to Google Classroom for the final 3 weeks of school. No more current event reports will be graded. Extra credit with the form attached in Google Classroom will be accepted until May 1.
- I will post assignments in Google classroom by April 27th for the final grades of the year. I am going to post the remaining assignments. They will all have due dates, but you can do them all and be finished or complete as they are due. The choice is yours, just don't complete late or points will be deducted. Also don't wait until the final minutes or articles and quiz links may disappear. Feel free to text or email any questions or concerns 304-634-7269
- Extra credit book report due May 1 - they can go ahead a read a book for this extra credit assignment. - I will post the forms in my google classroom.
- Indicators: 8th grade reading – RL 8.1, RL 8.2, RL 3, RL8.4, RL 8.5, RL 8.6, RL 8.9, RL8.10, RI 8.1, RI 8.2, RI 8.3, RI 8.4, RI 8.6, RI 8.10, SL 8.1, SL 6, SL 8.1d, SL 8.2, L6, L 8.4(a-d)
- Marzano strategies
- ID similarities and differences
- advanced organizers
Have a great summer. I am sorry we did not get to have a full year of face to face school time. Stay safe and healthy. Hope to see you again next year at the high school or just out in the world. Love always.
- Reading – Stay safe and healthy. I hope to see you soon. All work is posted on my google classroom. No paper work is due for me unless you want to do paper instead of computer. Email me or text and I will get you paper copies. All final assignments are due May 16.
- Indicators: 8th grade reading - RL 8.1, RL 8.2, RL 3, RL8.4, RL 8.5, RL 8.6, RL 8.9, RL8.10, RI 8.1, RI 8.2, RI 8.3, RI 8.4, RI 8.6, RI 8.10, SL 8.1, SL 6, SL 8.1d, SL 8.2, L6, L 8.4(a-d)
- Indicators: 8th grade reading - RL
8.1, RL 8.2, RL 3, RL8.4, RL 8.5, RL 8.6, RL 8.9, RL8.10, RI 8.1, RI 8.2,
RI 8.3, RI 8.4, RI 8.6, RI 8.10, SL 6, SL 8.1, SL 8.1d, SL 8.2, L6, L 8.4(a-d)
Reading - Read 8th grade reading - RL 8.1, RL 8.2,RL 3, RL8.4, RL 8.5, RL 8.6, RL 8.9, RL8.10, RI 8.1, RI 8.2, RI 8.3, RI 8.4, RI 8.6, RI 8.10, SL 6, SL 8.1, SL 8.1d, SL 8.2, L6, L 8.4(a-d)
Indicators: 8th grade
reading - RL 8.1, RL 8.2, RL 3, RL8.4, RL 8.5, RL 8.6, RL 8.9, RL8.10, RI
8.1, RI 8.2, RI 8.3, RI 8.4, RI 8.6, RI 8.10, SL 6, SL 8.1, SL 8.1d, SL 8.2, L6,
- Reading- read
- - Starting in kindergarten, if a student reads 20 minutes a day at home, they will hear 1.8 million words per year. They will have read for 851 hours and by 6th grade on standardized tests, they will likely score better than 90% of their peers.("How Reading Impacts")
Miss Gorby’s Reading Class
Extra Credit for final nine weeks is a book report on book of their choice - forms are available in my room for this report - it must be on my form paper to be accepted. Book must also be at least 100 pages and age appropriate. I need to see the book and record the title prior to accepting the report.
Extra Credit due May 1 by 3:00 PM